Before You Move
1. Send your forwarding address to the local post office and send change of address card to:
2. Keep file of vital papers and reminders
3. Get estimates from moving companies, select a moving company, confirm date and decide who will pack. Paid packers typically come the day before moving day.
4. Start sorting. Decide what to move, what to sell, give away, discard. Take cuttings or give away extra house plants.
5. Inventory possessions. List dents and scratches and, if possible, list value and year of purchase. Photo or video records are ideal.
6. Transfer insurance:
7. Arrange sufficient cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving expenses and services. Cash or certified check is usually required by the transfer company.
8. Have your bank recommend an affiliate in your new city and transfer bank accounts and empty safe deposit box.
9. Disconnect and obtain any deposits or letters of credit:
10. Stop service on the following:
11. Notify principal of your children?s school about your intended move.
12. Notify your church pastor that you are leaving.
13. Obtain birth and baptism records of your children.
14. Obtain all medical records of shots, dental records and eyeglass prescriptions.
15. Check with your attorney about will revisions, if moving out of state.
16. Have appliances serviced for the trip:
17. Pick up personal items:
18. Return all borrowed items, library books. Collect anything borrowed from you.
19. Pack cleaning supplies, hammer, nails, screwdriver, pliers, masking tape, tape measure, flashlight and batteries, cloths, scissors, light bulbs, aspirin, soap, toilet paper and first aid supplies, in a separate carton, to take with you.
20. Keep basics handy and in well-marked boxes:
21. Save the phone book from your former city residence.
22. Carry jewelry and documents yourself.
23. Verify insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
24. Let a close friend or relative know the route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops. Use him/her as message headquarters.
25. Leave the keys for your old property with your RE/MAX Tri County Sales Associate or neighbors.
26. Collect children?s games and activities for the trip.
27. Plan meals and snacks, to minimize shopping. Have ?quick-fix? foods ready or plan to eat out/carry in.